AND ANYONE WHO WELCOMES A LITTLE CHILD LIKE THIS ON MY BEHALF IS WELCOMING ME. -MATTHEW 18:5-

Saturday, June 11, 2011

Needs and Wants

I have a long list of things that I've learned since starting this adoption process.  I'd like to think it's really changing me for the better (which was needed!).  One thing has really stood out in my mind.  How many times have I heard myself say that I really NEED something?  Likely, I've said it on a daily basis...and probably multiple times a day at certain points in time.  How much of it do I actually NEED?  Not much of it.

It's amazing how our culture has grown to believe we are entitled to things...like cable TV and internet and cell phones.  We've been sucked into the thought process of "got-to-have".  In the process of trying to save for this adoption we have repeatedly gone through our monthly bills to find where we can cut back.  At first I thought it wasn't possible.  I even made us take a full month and write down every single thing we spent money on to see where it went to.  It was amazing! Some things were quite obviously unavoidable, but we sure found that we really wasted away quite a bit...silly things like coffee from the local Sheetz, grabbing Taco Bell when we didn't feel like grocery shopping, or grabbing something random from K-Mart.  We don't need those things.  They are just convenient.

I've started to avoid going to the mall these days simply because I get dragged in by all the STUFF.  I see it, then I want it and convince myself I NEED it.  Yes, my clothes are getting slightly run down.  Yes, they don't all fit me since having Brayden.  Yes, I might look "better" to those who see me if I get the new style out.  No, I don't need it.

Other things I've caught myself saying:
*I need a new house because mine is too small.  (No, I have a roof over my head with air conditioning and heat!  It may be cluttered because of Brayden's stuff, but so what?)
*We have no food in this house. (Yes we DO.  It just might not be what I want at that moment in time.)
*We need chairs for our back porch. (Really, Amanda?)
I could go on and on....

Do I sound nuts?  Probably to some of you.  I've just seen and heard too many stories from the TRULY poor.  Those in third world countries that have nothing.  They don't complain.  They give freely to others even the minimal that they have.  They help each other on a daily basis.  They appreciate the small things.  They open their house to strangers and feed them when they don't have much to give.  We can all learn from the poor.  I think of the children in orphanages who sit on their beds and do nothing...have nothing.  What gives me the right to complain?  I'm blessed beyond measure.  I've been provided all I need.

In the times we really do NEED, (like coming up for the money for this adoption!) God has provided. We have been blown away by how He is making this possible.  We doubted, and we are being proven wrong on a daily basis.  I love that I'm wrong :).

3 comments:

  1. Wow Amanda! The Lord has such big plans for you and Jon and He is changing you both and maturing you in such BIG ways! Isn't it so exciting when you turn something totally over to the Lord and then let Him do the work? He does such a better job than if we tried to do it our own. We love you, Jon and little Brayden and can't wait to meet the little one that the Lord will hand pick just for you and Jon. It will all happen in His timing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so right Amanda about the things that we think we "need". We have cut back on expenses this year to try & get things paid off so I understand what you're going through. God will bless you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so right !Great reminders Amanda

    ReplyDelete